clinic workflow queries for smilestyler

welcome-aorta Forums AORTA Forum clinic workflow queries for smilestyler

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Neha Singh
    Participant

I need some information and support on how to go about with offering Smilestyler services through our dental practice in terms of work flow. For example,
    1. what information should the front office staff provide,
    2. what are the codes to be used by me as the clinician and which step of the process.
    3. How best to discuss costs with the patient?
    4. Also, can you give me any templates for consent and contracts , etc.
    Could someone please assist me with these? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

georgea
    Participant

Hi Neha, great questions. Discussion below:
    1. what information should the front office staff provide:
    Information that ‘non clinical’ staff provide is wide ranging. It all starts from your online advertising, then in-house advertising including waiting room tv etc. Our front office staff initially are what we term ‘promoters’ of clear aligners but they also know our entire workflow back to front so if the patient asks “whats the process” or “how do i get more information” or “how do i get started” they know where to direct the patient. For example, if the patient says “how do I get more information” front desk will advise the patient to organise a complimentary information sessions with a treatment care co-ordinator. In saying that, non-clinical staff do not make a diagnosis or give timeframes on treatment etc – that is our job as clinicians. It is however important they understand the workflow and process the patient is committing to and also understand the time needed for aspects of the patient journey to ensure they are advising patients how long the appointments will take.

2. We use the following codes:
    Work up codes and also additional alpha codes can assist in ensuring the patient has all aspects of the treatment covered and communication within our team is of a high standard
    Freein – free information session, a front office or treatment coordinator can meet the patient and discuss options of aligner treatment
    036, 037, 071 x 2, 072, 073 – these codes are used for the clinical workup
    Scan – we use this code to alert our admin team that a digital scan was taken and they can commence the upload of the case using the STL file
    PhotoR – this code can be entered by the team member who uploaded the photos for the case
    Clinck – a front office or treatment coordinator needs to document when the patient has viewed their software and if they are proceeding
    825 x 2 per arch price
    AlignO = aligners ordered
    AlignA = aligners arrived

3. Cost is an interesting one. In the free information session with our treatment care co-ordinator they will outline “if you are a lite case it will be $x, if you’re a full case itll be $y, and if youre a complex case itll be $z. Your clinician will let you know what category you fall under”. We have found in our clinic, and it is a priniciple of Dr John’s that the front desk mainly discuss costs, not so much the clinical team. He theorises that clinical team is good at clinical things. Front office/support team in a non-clinical room are best discussing costs after the clinical team has discussed what case they fall into. As per step a above, it is our standard workflow that a treatment coordinator will see the patient to discuss pricing and payment plan options, this saves you valuable chair time.

4. Sure thing, Neha. Ill upload some contracts into our library and alert you once theyve been uploaded 🙂

We do have our admin support on this forum Ill flag it with them to give you their thoughts on this topic and feel free to include your admin team to this forum to ask questions too!

If you have any followup questions form the above feel free to ask!

Neha Singh
    Participant

That is really very helpful. Thank you so much. I am just waiting for our Trios unit and then I can hopefully get started with the free information session by end of next week. I was a bit nervous about how to start but I think it will only come with experience once I start. I was hoping I could observe someone through the whole patient journey from the information session until the patient acceptance of treatment plan…may be you could upload some videos about that…example what to discuss with patient and when? I could then show our treatment coordinator how to go about it as well.

georgea
    Participant

Congratulations on starting! I can definitely arrange that video for you, Neha!

Freedom Dental
    Participant

Hey Dr Neha, Is Dr John
    Just following up on how you are going?
    Just reviewing the messages here it can be scary when your cannot see the whole process ahead of time clearly.
    My advise is to start on a staff member to better learn the process. You are also welcome to visit when in Melbourne.
    Please keep asking for further videos
    from Aorta to assist with the process.
    Regards John

Neha Singh
    Participant

Hi Dr John,

Thank you so much for your message. It is very daunting for me and I am still a bit anxious as I will be seeing my first patient tomorrow but luckily I’ve got Nicole around with me to help with the scan and discuss specifics of smilestyler. I would love to come to Melbourne and visit your practice and will try to do so early next year. Until then I will keep in touch with you if I need anything. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Neha

Neha Singh
    Participant

Hi,

I was wondering if I could have any fast notes that you may have for clear aligner consultation? Thank you.

Regards,
    Neha

Freedom Dental
    Participant

Hi Neha,

Our Treatment Care Co-ordinators have a template to follow when during consults for clear aligners. I have attached quick note templates for a clear aligner consultation and a software viewing/presentation appointment that cover the main points that would be discussed during these appointments. There are also notes below that can be adjusted and used for your practice.

Presented treatment plan to patient as written by their treating provider or Dr John Hagiliassis. Read over treatment plan with patient briefly discussing process for outlined treatment recommendations and options. Educated patient that my role is that of a treatment care coordinator and that I cannot provide a clinical diagnosis or answer clinical questions. Highlighted alternative options on treatment plan and advised patient that we can arrange a referral for patient to seek a second opinion if required. Showed patient before and after images on 3D Clin-check and advised patient that Clin-check is a simulated guideline of their predicted treatment plan. As per treatment plan advised patient of predicted treatment length, however reiterated software is a simulated guideline and that treatment length is likely to be extended with refinement(s) following the initial treatment phase. Discussed refinements included in treatment (3) if required for further correction and that this will be determined by their treating provider or Dr John Hagiliassis. Discussed functions of treatment with patient & highlighted attachments, elastics, interproximal adjustments, power ridges. Pt has been shown on clincheck the shapes/number of attachments required and any anterior attachments, patient has been educated when attachments will be placed and that they will be polished off upon completion of treatment Showed patient any blue/black tooth movement and informed patient these teeth have predicted difficulty with movement. Stressed compliance (wearing aligners 22 hours per day), fortnightly changes & the importance of scheduling and attending appointments as directed by their treating provider. Discussed the importance of retention with the use of post-operative retainers. Advised patient of life-time commitment & that they are responsible for making and attending appointments upon completion of treatment to review alignment and retention. Advised failure to do so may compromise final treatment results. Discussed option of Vpro accelerator device as outlined in treatment plan & provided consent form highlighting benefits and potential risks and inconveniences. Advised Dr John & treating provider deemed suitability if patient chooses to proceed with product. Discussed fee for product and payment options. Educated patient about the importance of scheduling appointments with the same provider and advised that Dr John Hagiliassis supervisors all of our Invisalign practitioners. Advised Dr John is available at any time upon request should the need arise. Verbally went through contract with patient, informing of all associated costs and inclusions/exclusions as highlighted in the contract. Discussed payment options more comprehensively and provided information of Mifund / Denticare if patient wishes to proceed with payment plan. Advised patient to thoroughly read informed consent form and payment contract prior to proceeding and that if they have any questions to ensure these are answered by their treating provider or Dr John prior to signing. Advised patient of complimentary take home whitening and retainers included in overall cost.

Neha Singh
    Participant

Hi Dr John,

Thank you so much for these notes. Sorry I have been not very active on the forum as I have been trying hard to have a work-life balance with 2 little babies and this is why I could’nt even attend the ACAS which I would have loved to. Will surely make it next time though.

Regards,
    Neha

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.